Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Thank you for following our discussion.Today I would like to share just a few stories about the wonderful people I get to work with. Readers may recall we had our finances revoked for still unknown reasons creating chaos and repercussions that may be felt for years by some. I can never do justice relating to all the conversations I had today with so many of them, but here are just a few....... with more to come.

Individual Stories You Should Know About

  • One of our longest standing staff members, who at one time worked in our office instead of the field, had her electricity turned off. Although she is down and out, she refuses to be bitter. When she spoke to me she took the time to assure me that God would take care of us all and that she has the faith and confidence that there is some greater purpose at work. This lady is a single mother with two children and no husband or ex husband providing any form of child support. She has plenty of reason to complain, and even though she cannot meet her obligations for the moment and her family is suffering she wants to be a part of something greater than what was done to her.

I hope I can grow up to be like her some day, even though I think she is at least 20 years younger than I am now.

  • There was one young woman I spoke to who was following up on her application from two weeks ago. Like so many in this economy, she needs to find income and her deadline has long gone. Still, she took the time to listen attentively and afterwards offered all she could to assist.

  • Another lady called who was working in our office when I had to deliver the bad news three days before Christmas. One of the most humiliating parts of this entire situation involves the fact that I happened to have a very bad case of the flu the day we were told we were in so much trouble. Knowing I could not in any good conscience allow anyone to work without knowing I could pay them, I had to tell them but the only way I could was by email. 

You will see me say many times they deserved more, and that is an understatement of the highest order. 

They need their checks, but all I can do is continue to replay the excuse that it is out of our hands and nothing we can do. Not only is this unfair to all involved, but in my best of moods (which I have none anymore) I greatly resent being placed in the position to have to hurt so many people so needlessly. Hopefully I will   improve that attitude by the time it matters most.

  • A 25 year old young man called asking about his check. As I got to know him more throughout the conversation, I came to realize that he was mature far beyond a label of only 25. Not only was he willing to pull up by the boot straps, but he also offered as much assistance as he could provide.
  • Many workers called asking about their checks. Some for the third, fourth, fifth or above time. They are worried and I hear the panic. What can they do? They can only trust that something will happen, but we all know it needs to be soon.
  •  
An Odd Coincidence? I Think Not

Today I received a call from a close friend telling me that there was a prominent news article in the Dallas Morning News stating that the carrier FedEx is suing the exact same agency, the Texas Workforce Commission for virtually the same situation. A cursory look at the article fully validated my belief that our stance is correct and appropriate yet at the same time concerned me greatly. There was a quote from the Texas state attorney general who says he believes the state is immune to such legal action.

???

Does this mean the impunity the agency officials we have argued with for so long is impenetrable? Where are the rights of those of us trying to do the right thing but caught up in whatever this is? If the government allows its agency representatives to create and enforce non-existent or faulty rulings without recourse, then what?

As mentioned in the first post, we cannot waste time and energy worrying about vengeance or even "justice" for justice's cake. We have to concern ourselves with not only ourselves and those who rely on us to do the right thing but the next person and the next and the next who find themselves in something similar. 


What Seems To Be The Question?

I would like to leave that to anyone who dares to try and frame the scenario into a tidy box. If the government insists on respect and applies  rules, regulations, laws, or whatever but refuses to live by even remotely similar standards then that courtesy is forfeited. Once again, we are not asking for anything more than what we thought our government would provide and abide by for anyone. I guess for me, at this moment, the question is "can that be done?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any and all comments are encouraged. Our ego cannot be bruised so feel free to be as honest as necessary. Constructive advice, offers to assist, and possible answers to our situation will be credited to those providing it. Foul language, spam, and unsolicited and non-related replies will be deleted. Thank you for your interest.