Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Our Story


 
 Helping You Help Others
 
The facts:
  •  I know absolutely nothing about blogs and have only actually read only one or two my entire life.
  • 12 years ago my wife and I established the first hospice service in the world (as far as we can find) that specialized in the last few days or even hours of life as opposed to the traditional final six months at end-of-life. 
  • We grew very, very quick.
  • When we began, we could find only one hospice in the nation who knew the term "continuous care"
  • Today every hospice in the country offers 24 hour around the clock continuous care or the patients often choose another hospice
    • It has been estimated that by the proliferation and visibility we were fortunate to initiate we have directly or indirectly reached millions of individuals through patients, families, extended families, communities, churches, workplaces, and the spread of the program nationwide.
  • We became prime advocates for intensive care in home for patients who wanted to be at home when that time came.
  • We made lots of friends. 
  • We made enemies.
  • We were so successful that we created our own competition by developing the program. Many people who worked with us went on to compete with us and took a large share of our business as well as documentation, policies, procedures, workers, and operational know-how.
  • I had a nervous breakdown.
  • The government began to intervene. Before it was over the IRS, the Department of Labor, Texas Workforce Commission, and more had mounted a devastating war for reasons never explained nor understood.
  • We defended our patient's and the hospices we were privileged to work with with every penny we had.
  • On December 21, 2012, without warning, actions of the government caused us to lose all access to our funds resulting in our inability to make payroll the weekend before Christmas. People were left without money not only for Christmas, but for overdue electric bills, car payments, rent, mortgages, and for the good faith act of working and expecting to be paid for doing so.
This blog must define itself by my best effort to avoid bitterness, unprovable claims, and anger in favor of soliciting constructive input, advice,and offering to serve as an instrument to disseminate information. As in most disasters, personal or professional, it seems to be a common expression that no one expects it to happen to them. Surely, it will always be someone else or perhaps whatever it is never really happens at all and claims to the contrary are either exaggerated, incorrectly presented, or fraudulently contrived.

One fact that is very clear and non-debatable: as I write this, I have witnessed the near complete deterioration of the spirit within the rock that holds me up in this life. First and foremost, my faith in God will continue intact regardless what the result is going to be, but the person who keeps me grounded and facing God instead of running from Him in those dark days is crumbling herself. In addition to all the others who have been hurt in these events, my wife has done nothing to deserve such treatment which I have been moved to describe as inhumane. I hear her trying to mute her sobs and she should not be expected to hide the tears that are now perpetually nearer the surface than any time I have known her. The phone rings and I see signs of panic to the point of terror in her face. Will this be the caller upset enough to threaten the safety of our son, herself, or all of us? Will he or she actually try to bring harm into our home?

I do not believe in suicide, but I can empathize to the fullest. In days to come I will chronicle as much detail as I can bringing us to this point in time. I implore anyone with knowledge of how to combat governmental abuse and harassment to forward that information at your first opportunity. What I will explain in these next few days is how absolutely and completely we have performed in best faith effort, always ethical, moral, and legal, and yet we have been persecuted well beyond the breaking point for unknown reasons by the government of the US and the state of Texas.

Our Goals:
  • We seek resolution, not revenge. 
  • We have to correct this injustice while not pointing angry fingers and lowering ourselves to the level we are protesting. 
  • We still want to assume what has happened to us is only over zealousness, misapplied, or misinterpreted regulations, or something not insidious and personal.
  • We would be ecstatic to garner media attention.
  • We will offer total transparency allowing anyone to ask any question that may or may not be construed as confrontational or negative and still expect an honest answer with records to support said answer. If we have truly done something wrong, we need to know that, too.
  • We want to help others on both sides of the situation learn and become better at what their appointed responsibilities required of them.
  • We want to help others who find themselves in similar situations.
  • We want to do so in a manner pleasing to our Father in Heaven, in Whom I trust to bring the right answers.

Thank you for taking time to read about our plight. Maybe you will be the one with the answer or contact that makes the difference, or maybe you can will move on and forget us very soon. Either way, you spent valuable time with us and it is appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. It is a very sad and unfortunate situation for all involved--owners, employees, and patients. I love what I do and the comfort I get to provide to these patients and their families. However, what is frustrating, as an employee, is that this was known on 12/21/12. Several of us worked shifts after this date not knowing we would not be paid. I think knowing what the Texas Workforce Commisions reasoning and/or charges are would better allow us to offer insight and help with the situation. I am praying for CCS. We offer a wonderful service and I am proud to be an employee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So where is the rest of the story? How did they shut you down? They have no legal authoruty to shut a business down unless they are doing something illegal. Please complete. We are a group interested in situations like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for contacting us. I will try to answer your questions as briefly as possible. I have written and re-written the next part of the ordeal many times, but at this particular point I must be cautious regarding what I post. I do hope someday or somehow to find legal representation and eventually some recourse for the staff at least. A few of our office crew have begun their own business which will be a competitor if we find a way to rebuild. This creates terribly conflicting emotions for me. Of course I want them to be able to provide for their family, but human nature causes me to wonder if the staff thinks we could have done more or if we failed due to lack of effort. My wife, my son, and I have given everything we had to give, yet that same human nature understandably can and will cause doubts from all concerned. The issue at hand then becomes can/should I support and provide for my own family without interfering with theirs? We are rapidly losing any chance to provide for whoever still wants to be part of our work if it is saved somehow. I could probably intervene, but that is a decision I will avoid until or unless I have no other alternative.

      Did we do something illegal? Absolutely not, and to the best of my knowledge they have never said we did. They simply have the regulatory authority to place liens on our finances. That essentially froze us out from withdrawals or other access to money we already collected for operational and payroll expenses. This is how the TWC brought us down.

      During the many discussions with the TWC, I was told that since we had an obvious difference of opinions, they are automatically right, I am wrong, and they don't have to prove it. When I asked the regulatory person at the TWC how he expected our families to have any kind of Christmas after putting our money out of reach, he literally told me he didn't care.

      Their unfounded actions contradict every legal opinion I have been given, and I believe manifests an attitude of guilty until proven otherwise with no means of doing so. I never wanted to believe in conspiracies where we live in some kind of police state with no real freedom, but what has happened here feels as wrong as if someone reached in my wallet and took everything I owned as well as what I owed and left me with no opportunity to do anything about it.

      If indeed you can offer any assistance, let me encourage you as strongly as I can and as a business owner, father, and husband I pledge anything reasonable I have left in exchange. Hopefully it is not too late to bring enough of the group some relief.

      Best Regards.

      Delete

Any and all comments are encouraged. Our ego cannot be bruised so feel free to be as honest as necessary. Constructive advice, offers to assist, and possible answers to our situation will be credited to those providing it. Foul language, spam, and unsolicited and non-related replies will be deleted. Thank you for your interest.